Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Sealing Seoul (1) Changdeokgung and Gyeongbokgung

All the way I was anticipating my trip to Bangkok. But it had to be cancelled due to their political instability. We had to change our flight to Korea last minute, with no planning at all. I never really share that fanaticism of K-pop or Korean beauty industry, nor do I know much about Korea. So I basically stepped aboard completely blank.

But it turns out to be alright with all easily available tourist books and tripadvisor.com and stuff. Two of the highlights of our vacation there are to visit Changdeokgung and Gyeongbokgung palaces. Im not a history person so for the historic information just google it yourself ;)

Changdeokgung

We went there on our 2nd day. The antique beauty breathes through the tranquil and comfy palace, and I was particularly delighted to see no annoying troops waving flags or calling through amplifiers anywhere.




Some kindergarten kids were listening to their teacher under this architecture. I guess this was built as a shelter from the rain.

I particularly like their colourful yet not too much gold or dragons under-ceiling decorations.




But one thing I didnt understand is their very high stairs. Even I had to be extra careful in my casual tourist clothes and shoes, can't imagine how those ancient people in complicated costumes and shoes moved around the palace.


Gyeongbokgung

I have seen changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace when I was in London, it was great fun so I suggested going to Gyeongbokgung to see the Korean version here. It was not as grand as I expected, and actually reminded me a lot of the roll-call march I did when I was a girl guide.




The guards were really tall and heavily-built. Everyone automatically becomes a midget if you try to get close to take a photo with them.

:D bye for now, (2) will be about the Trick Eye Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment